Monday, October 28, 2019

Fall Days with Chili Vibes

Fall is officially in full-blown force here in Western Pennsylvania! The crisp autumn air with the chilly nights has always been one of my favorite times of the year. It's the season of death and change. Truly a mesmerizing time. One thing I have always loved was a good chili recipe. I remember being pregnant with my middle son and watching chili cook-off shows on The Food Network. I took bits and pieces from each and made my own! I hope you guys enjoy this recipe!

Ingredients:
Serves 10-12 (but who really measures? I know I eat like 4 in one sitting.)
Meat:
1 lb Ground Chicken
1 lb Italian pork sausage (I like spicy, so I opt for the spicy kind. If you don't - that's fine too!)

Produce:
3 Green bell peppers (I put seeds and all in them)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 large onion
4 cloves of FRESH garlic (Your house will smell of garlic, and your hands, and everything you touch. I apologize, but garlic is pretty much life.)

Canned goods:
1 can 14 oz red kidney beans - juice and all
1 can 14 oz white kidney beans - yes, still add the juice
24 oz Chicken broth (I use the Bone in Broth brand)
6 oz Tomato paste

Let's Get Spicey:
2 tsp Brown sugar, packed
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
2 tsp Tuscan seasoning (this is hard to find - Italian seasoning will work as well)
4 tbsp Chili powder
3 tsp SMOKED paprika
Salt - eyeball it but if you insist on measuring 1/2 tsp
The secret ingredient:
3 tsp of Cocoa powder. Yes, you read that right. Chocolate. Chocolate & Spice, and all things nice!

Oil:
3 swirls of oil (frying the meat)

Dairy:
2 cups Cheddar cheese (The sharper the better)
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese (whatever you use to top your spaghetti)
Dollops of sour cream (treat your self, don't be skimpy)

Finished Chili
Let's get down to business:
Prep your vegetables. This is a personal preference. If you're a chunky kind of person, leave your peppers and onions bigger. If not, mince them or better yet, throw them in a chopper and let the chopper do the work. I prefer to be in control, so chunks it is.
For the garlic, peel garlic and place on cutting board. Take the flat side of the knife and smash that. This can be therapeutic to the right person. Chop finely and smear it. It will break down in the cooking process.
Take your chicken and Italian sausage and brown them in a large skillet. This is where your swirls of olive oil come in to play. Once it starts to brown, sprinkle lightly salt, one clove of garlic, a dash of chili powder and paprika. Once seasoned, open the tomato paste and mix with a spatula until all of it is combined.
In your crock-pot, pot, on Insta-Pot, put your meat in the bottom of the pot.
Next, add both cans of beans with the juices.
Add the tomatoes next. Mix until evenly combined.
Add the spices, mix until evenly distributed.
Let it simmer for four hours.
One hour before serving, add your cheese and mix. Cheesy, gooey goodness, helllllo.

Add caption
Ladle out into a bowl. Top with remaining cheese. (You have a bag, do NOT use sparingly) Finish with a dollop
or four of your favorite brand of sour cream.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Binge Worthy Shows on Netflix & Hulu

My TV is constantly on. You would think, "Yeah, she's a mother." Wrong, it's background noise and something I get sucked i...